Basics of basic fitness for show dogs: 5 naive questions and answers
Natalia Podbreeva - Co-founder of the Pets & People School of Understanding with Animals (Kiev, Ukraine), Specialist in Sports Medicine and Dog Rehabilitation (C.C.R.P. UTVETCE, USA)
Fitness for dogs is becoming increasingly popular. And for show dogs, it is completely indispensable. What kind of direction is this and who should do fitness?
What is included in the concept of basic fitness for show dogs?
Basic fitness for show dogs is an exercise aimed at:
- acquisition of a competitive exterior of the trunk, front and hind limbs
- maintaining a competitive exterior of the trunk, front and hind limbs
- development of exhibition gait.
Many owners turn to the fitness trainer with a problem: the dog does not go to a trot when necessary and at the right pace, or goes to a trot, but does not bear a head, very quickly gets lost with a trot or does not fit into a turn. The reasons may be different, but often this is due to the improper addition of the dog or insufficient training. Basic fitness allows you to "balance" the dog, develop the necessary skills.
Why is basic fitness necessary for show dogs?
A dog engaged in fitness always achieves the best results in the ring and leave behind competitors, because it can show itself most effectively.
What is the difference between basic fitness for show dogs and general fitness?
- Directed action on the musculoskeletal system in order to create a beautiful exhibition body in accordance with the breed standard. Therefore, working with Italian greyhound will be very different from working with a Labrador, and working with a dachshund - from working with a Welsh Terrier, because they have a completely different exterior.
- The absence of prolonged aerobic and explosive (sprinting) loads - great endurance in the ring is not needed.
- Training taking into account the needs of the specifics of the ring. Most often, dogs who can themselves (and not with the help of a handler) take an exhibition stand and stay in it all the time, while an expert examines it. This is evidence of the development and health of the musculoskeletal system. There are rings with a rather slippery surface, and special skills are required from the dog in order to balance himself in the corners and not get injured.
- The impact on the musculoskeletal system only with anaerobic loads, i.e. you can practice your dog daily, giving 24 hours to restore the body.
- Minimum inclusion in the work of additional devices.
What are the benefits of basic fitness for show dogs?
- The ability to easily master at home.
- Minimum contraindications.
- The optimal duration of classes. For example, you can spend 15 minutes on a walk doing fitness exercises - and that will be enough.
- The study of all muscles, including the deep ones, and the deep muscles are responsible for balance and balance.
- Correction of the top line, set the neck and limbs.
- Acceleration of the body's metabolic processes.
- Improving coordination.
Are there any downsides to basic fitness for show dogs?
- Classes should be held strictly regularly. It’s enough to engage in general fitness aimed at improving 1-2 times a week, but with basic fitness you and your dog can’t relax. The more regularly you exercise, the faster you will see the effect of the exercises. If you can’t do 15 minutes every day, do it at least 2-3 times a week. Otherwise, there will be no result.