On the beach with a dog: pros and cons, rules
Many of us like to spend at least part of our beach holidays. But can a dog join us? And is it worth taking a dog to the beach?
The pros and cons of the dog on the beach
The arguments for are easy to find:
- you don’t have to part with a true friend,
- the dog can have a lot of fun splashing in the waves, digging holes in the sand or chasing the ball.
But there are also arguments against the dog’s stay on the beach:
- If you don’t go to a special “dog” beach (and it’s not easy to find), other visitors may express dissatisfaction, or even resent loudly, which probably will not improve your mood. Imagine, not all representatives of the human race love dogs. In addition, many beaches are decorated with a sign "Dogs are not allowed."
- The reverse is also true: a crowd of animal lovers (including young children) gathers around the dog, not all of whom know how to properly handle human friends. And the dog may not be thrilled. And pets can also treat a dubious tasty treat! And screams and noise usually annoy dogs.
- Not all dogs love water, and swimming behind an abandoned stick on command may not be fun, but a real test for the pet. By the way, high waves are a real threat to the dog, no matter how good a swimmer.
- Get ready for the fact that after the “beach therapy” you have to get sand from the ears, eyes and hair of the dog for a long and dreary.In addition, if sand gets into your eyes, they can become inflamed, and grains of sand that clogged in the coat between your fingers rub their feet.
- Alas, many beaches are “decorated” with fragments, metal bottle caps and other traumatic garbage. Moreover, you may not immediately notice that the pet was hurt, and this will result in an inflammatory process.
- Dogs do not disdain to drink water from a river or sea, and it is not always useful for the body of a four-legged friend. In addition, water can enter the ears and eyes, which also often causes inflammation.
- The beach is usually quite hot. And the dog, especially the owner of long thick hair or a shortened muzzle, may well get a heat stroke.
If you still decide to take the dog to the beach
If the pros outweigh the possible disadvantages for you, and the dog goes on vacation with you, be sure to check what rules apply on the beaches of the resort you like. Some allow dogs to go to the beach only at certain times of the day (for example, late in the evening or early in the morning), some impose restrictions (as an option, to move along specially laid paths without letting the dog on the sand), in some places the dogs are not allowed to enter the water.
Another option is to go to the "wild" beach, where you will not be able to make claims.
In any case, the main rule must be observed: take a leash, food and water for your pet, a travel bowl, towel and bedding with you.
And be sure to clean if the dog has relieved the need on the beach.
In the photo: dog on the beach